Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, January 3, 2011

Beta-HCG Levels

For those of you who don't know, some doctors do a blood test to confirm your pregnancy. The blood test measures the amount of "pregnancy hormone" aka human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) that is in your system. From my understanding, anything over five is considered a "positive." As the embryo grows, the level of HCG rises and the beta numbers should double every two to three days. I called my doctor on Monday October 11th to let them know that I had been taking positive pregnancy tests. They brought me in that day to draw my blood and see what my HCG levels were. They called me later that afternoon to tell me my first beta was a big fat 1842!! While I knew that number was high, I didn't say anything I just asked what they wanted me to do next. They said they wanted to bring me in two days later to check it again to make sure it was doubling like it was supposed to. Well, 46 hours later not only did my numbers double, but they tripled. That is when the nurse says to me..."how do you feel about multiples??" I about fell out of my chair! Of course I said we would be happy with whatever we were blessed with, but inside I was TERRIFIED! I see SO many multiples come through the NICU and I couldn't help but be scared that my five-foot three-inch frame could not carry two or MORE babies to term! Since my numbers were so high, my doctor wanted to bring me in for an early ultrasound. So at five weeks and three days pregnant we had our very first ultrasound. As the doctor was performing the ultrasound, I burst into tears because I was so scared he was going to tell me I'm going to be the next octo-mom! He handed me a tissue and said congratulations we have ONE baby! It was too early to see the heartbeat, so he brought us in the following Friday at six weeks and three days pregnant and did another ultrasound. This was the first time we heard the most amazing sound anyone could ever hear...our baby's fast and STRONG heartbeat :) Oh yea...and he still only saw one baby!!! Six and a half weeks down...and a lot more to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment